Transcender Festival is back at the Barbican in the autumn
27 April, 2017 — By Sebastian Taylor
Japanese percussionist/composer Midora Takada
Transcendental and hypnotic music is being performed in the eighth Transcender Festival being held at the Barbican in the autumn from September 28 to October 1.
Playing in the festival are musicians from Japan, India, Iran, Netherlands, Greece, Syria, Ethiopia, Russia, UK and USA.
• Thursday, September 28: Cult Japanese percussionist/composer Midori Takada with support from Portland-based electronic duo Visible Cloaks
• Friday, September 29: Internationally acclaimed Iranian musician/kamancheh player Kayhan Kalhor performing with jazz/period instrument group Rembrandt Trio.
• Saturday, September 30: British-Indian singer Susheela Raman and guitarist Sam Mills in special concert with 18 musicians from range of Eastern Christian traditions.
• Sunday, October 1: Newly commissioned global project Global Trains 1947, a collaborative Anglo-Indian audio-visual response to the Declaration of Indian Independence 70 years ago
• Barbican box office: 0845 120 7550, www.barbican.org.uk