Sebastian Taylor’s music news: Nicholas Mogg; ‘old style’ blues; Haydn Chamber Orchestra; Wigmore Hall Open Day
20 September, 2018 — By Sebastian Taylor
Nicholas Mogg. Photo: Sim Canetty-Clarke
BARITONE Nicholas Mogg is giving the Sidwell Memorial Recital at Hampstead Parish Church this Saturday (September 22) evening, accompanied by Jâms Coleman. He’s singing songs by Schumann, Duparc, Britten and Vaughan Williams followed by Schubert’s great song-cycle Schwanengesang.
• Hampstead Parish Church, Church Row, NW3, 7.30pm
NINE Below Zero’s founding members guitarist Dennis Greaves and harmonica player Mark Feltham are playing “old style” blues songs by such legends as Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee at Pizza Express Holborn this Saturday evening (September 22).
• Pizza Express, 99 High Holborn, 8.30pm, £20, WC1, 020 7831 5305, www.pizzaexpress.com
THE excellent Haydn Chamber Orchestra is at Christ Church, Highbury, this Saturday evening (September 22) playing two Mozart pieces, The Impresario overture plus his 25th piano concerto in C major. Also being played plays is Mendelssohn’s fourth symphony, The Italian.
• Christ Church, 155 Highbury Grove, N5, 8pm, £14/cons £12/children £5
GET along to Wigmore Hall on Open House Day this Saturday (September 22) to take a look behind the scenes and enjoy free performances and workshops throughout the day. Bring the family and join music teachers Lucy Drever and Georgia Duncan for a mystery musical tour plus free music-making workshops at 11am, 12.15pm and 1.30pm.
• Wigmore Hall, 36 Wigmore Street, W1, 10.30am-3pm, free/sign-up for workshops on the day, 020 7935 2141, www.wigmore-hall.org.uk
TAKE part in the Contemporary Music for All 25th anniversary celebrations at Kings Place this Sunday (September 23). Discover how new music can make sense of time, send it spinning around, speed it up, slow it down and even stop it. Bring along instruments and voices for a day of workshops open to all culminating in a CoMA anniversary concert.
• Contemporary Music for All: five workshops, Kings Place, 90 York Way, London N1 9AG, 11am-2pm, £12.50 and £14.50, 020 7520 1490, https://www.kingsplace.co.uk/