Season’s greeting from Raymond Gubbay
The Christmas Festival returns to the Barbican with music from the movies, songs from musicals and a host of favourite classics
15 December, 2017 — By Sebastian Taylor
Mozart Festival Orchestra in 18th-century costume for the concert on December 29
The Raymond Gubbay Christmas celebrations kick off on Saturday, December 23, at the Barbican with a concert of seasonal music and songs.
Being performed are such favourites as Silent Night, Ave Maria, Adeste Fideles and Hark! The Herald Angels Sing. Soloists are soprano Laura Wright and tenor Russell Watson performing with Birmingham Voices and the London Concert Orchestra. Start-time is 7.30pm.
Tenor Russell Watson
Other concerts in the Raymond Gubbay season include:
• Wednesday, December 27, 7.30pm: Star Wars and Beyond. An evening of music by film composer John Williams including such iconic scores a ET, Harry Potter, Jaws, Jurassic Park, Schindler’s List, Close Encounters and Indiana Jones.
• Thursday, December 28, 2.30pm: The Magic Moments of Burt Bacharach. A line-up of guest singers perform hits written from the 1950s to the 1980s such as Alfie, Anyone who had a Heart, Do You Know the Way to San Jose? and The Look of Love.
Beethoven dominates the concert on December 28
• Thursday, December 28, 7.30pm: All-Beethoven programme comprising his Emperor fifth piano concerto and the great Choral ninth symphony – the Highgate Choral Society among the performers.
• Friday, December 29, 2.30pm: Popular Baroque and Classical masterpieces, including Vivaldi’s Four Seasons, performed by Candlelight by the Mozart Festival Orchestra in full 18th-century costume.
• Friday, December 29, 7.30pm: Musicals in Concert. West End leading ladies Kerry Ellis, Louise Dearman and Linzi Hateley perform Broadway hits.
• Saturday, December 30, 2.30pm: The Glenn Miller Orchestra performs a string of wartime chart-topper and 1940s hits.
• Saturday, December 30, 7.30pm: Film scores of John Williams and Hanz Zimmer performed by the London Concert Orchestra.
• December 31, 7.30pm: The Magic of Vienna. Spend New Year’s Eve enjoying the memorable music of the Strauss dynasty performed by the Johann Strauss Dancers and Orchestra.
• January 1, 2.30pm: New Year’s Day Gala. Begin the New Year listening to some of the most popular classical works, including Nessun Dorma and Holst’s Jupiter.
• Full details of the Barbican’s Raymond Gubbay Christmas Festival and tickets: 0845 120 7511, www.barbican.org.uk