The independent London newspaper

Police urge 2008 student murder suspect to return to London

On 10th anniversary of the discovery of Martine Vik Magnussen’s body in a pile of rubble, detectives call on man who fled to Yemen to face justice

16 March, 2018 — By Tom Foot

Martine Vik Magnussen (left) was last seen in the early hours of March 14, 2008 with Farouk Abdulhak

DETECTIVES have called on a prime suspect in the murder of a 23-year-old student to return to this country and face justice.

This week marked a decade since the body of Norwegian Martine Vik Magnussen was discovered hidden in a pile of rubble in a Great Portland Street basement flat.

She was last seen with Farouk Abdulhak as they left a nightclub in Maddox Street, Mayfair, in the early hours of March 14, 2008. He fled to Yemen on the day she disappeared.

Major Crime Command DCI Andy Partridge said: “Abdulhak fled to another country in the pursuit of continuing with his life and today he remains sheltered and protected in the Yemen. For 10 years this person has been avoiding our requests to return to the UK and assist the investigation.”

Odd Petter Magnussen, the father of Norwegian student Martine Vik Magnussen, in Great Portland Street this week to mark a decade since her death

Martine had been celebrating the end of exams with fellow Regent’s Business School students at the nightclub. The Met has released CCTV it says shows the pair in the club.

A post-mortem examination gave cause of death as compression to the neck and tests showed Martine had also been raped before she was killed. An inquest at Westminster Coroner’s Court in November 2010 recorded a verdict of unlawful killing.

Martine’s father Odd Petter Magnussen this week laid flowers in Great Portland Street at the address where his daughter was found on March 16 2008. Farouk Abdulhak lived at that address.

In a message to the suspect, Mr Magnussen said: “We want you to know this case will never go away until justice has prevailed.”


Share this story

Post a comment