Ozil ‘saddened’ over Arteta axe
Playmaker vows to fight on for his place after being left out of Gunners' Premier League squad
22 October, 2020 — By Steve Barnett
MESUT Ozil has accused Arsenal of showing a lack of loyalty after being frozen out of the club’s Premier League squad.
The 32-year-old said he was “deeply disappointed” and “saddened” by Tuesday’s decision – which comes just weeks after he was also left out of the club’s Europa League plans.
It now appears that Ozil – the highest-paid player in Arsenal’s history – has played his last game for the club.
Despite the bleak outlook, however, the German playmaker has promised “to fight” for his chance to play for the Gunners again.
“This is a difficult message to write to the Arsenal fans that I’ve played for over the past few years,” Ozil wrote on Instagram.
“I’m really deeply disappointed by the fact that I have not been registered for the Premier League season for the time being.
“Upon signing my new contract in 2018, I pledged my loyalty and allegiance to the club that I love, Arsenal, and it saddens me that this has not been reciprocated.”
Reflecting on the coming months which will be spent in exile, Ozil, whose £350,000-a-week contract expires at the end of the season, added: “Before the coronavirus break I was really happy with the development under our new coach Mikel Arteta – we’ve been on a positive way and I would say my performances were on a really good level.
“But then things changed, again, and I was no longer allowed to play football for Arsenal. What else can I say?
“London still feels like home, I still have many good friends in this team, and I still feel a strong connection with the fans of this club.
“No matter what, I will keep fighting for my chance and not let my eighth season at Arsenal end like this.
“I can promise you that this hard decision won’t change anything in my mindset – I will continue to train as best as I can and wherever possible use my voice against inhumanity and for justice.”
Last week former Gunners boss Arsene Wenger insisted Ozil’s best years were being wasted, urging Arteta to bring him in from the cold.
Wenger, who brought Ozil to the Emirates in the summer of 2013 in a £42m deal from Real Madrid, said of his former star: “I feel it is a waste for him.
“Firstly because he’s in the years where a player of his talent can produce the most.
“And it’s a waste for the club as well because he’s a super talent, a creative talent that in the final third can create that killer pass.
“He’s been the record player of assists, so you have to find a way to get him involved again.”