The independent London newspaper

Moped teens jailed for life after night of mayhem

Dragon Hall charity worker Abdul Samad was knifed to death for iPhone

22 June, 2018 — By Tom Foot

Abdul Samad  

TWO teenagers who stabbed a charity youth worker to death in a four-hour spree of violence have been jailed for life.

Nathan Gilmaney, 19, and Troy Thomas, 18, both from Maida Vale, were sentenced at the Old Bailey on Friday, having been found guilty on May 18 of murdering 28-year-old Abdul Samad, also from Maida Vale.

The two, who were using a moped, stabbed the Dragon Hall charity worker after taking his iPhone. He died on his doorstep and was discovered by his family.

On October 16 last, Thomas and Gilmaney attacked their first victim in Shirland Road, Maida Vale. He tried to escape but was stabbed in the back.

An hour later they attacked an elderly man in St Mary’s Terrace, Paddington, stealing jewellery and money before stabbing him in the stomach.

Mr Samad handed over his phone, code and wallet, but was still stabbed in the chest.

A few minutes later his killers tried to rob two men in Golborne Road, Westbourne Park, but both managed to escape.

The pair sold Abdul Samad’s iPhone and some foreign currency to a buyer in Harrow Road around 1am.

About 20 minutes later they robbed and stabbed a man in Porchester Road, Bayswater. Minutes later in Princess Square, they followed a man talking on his phone before Gilmaney stabbed him in the arm without warning.

Around 2am, up in Cricklewood, they threatened a 16-year-old with knives and punched her in the face. The final victim was attacked in Golder’s Green. The pair were finally arrested in Broomsleigh Street, West Hampstead.

Detective Inspector Shaun Fitzgerald said: “The teenagers believed they had the right to threat- en and rob wherever they wanted, often stabbing their victims for no reason at all but to prove they could.

“Their behaviour is truly shocking, not least because the fact they had just killed a man and could hear his cries and the paramedics battling to save his life with surgery in the street did nothing to slow down their spree.

“They were caught that same night by police officers who set off in pursuit and bravely tackled them to the ground, knowing them to be armed. I commend their bravery and that of all the victims and witnesses who attended court to help secure these convictions.”

In part of a victim impact statement Abdul Samad’s mother, Layla Begum, said: “The death of my son has absolutely broken my husband, my eldest son, my entire family and me.”


Share this story

Post a comment