The independent London newspaper

Gunners continue perfect start with cup win over Leicester

A Christian Fuchs own-goal and a late strike from Eddie Nketiah earn Arsenal a 2-0 win in the third round of the Carabao Cup

23 September, 2020 — By Steve Barnett

Carabao Cup: Third Round

ARSENAL 2 (Fuchs 57 OG, Nketiah 90)

ARSENAL booked their place in the fourth round of the Carabao Cup with a 2-0 victory over Leicester tonight (Wednesday) at the King Power Stadium.

Christian Fuchs’ unfortunate own-goal just before the hour mark gave the Gunners the lead, before Eddie Nketiah bundled home a second in stoppage time to wrap up the win.

Mikel Arteta made it clear before kick-off that Arsenal would be “taking this competition seriously”, so he was understandably pleased to see his side book their place in the fourth round, where a potential tie away to Liverpool awaits.

“I’m really happy with the performance, first of all the attitude and the way we approached the game mentally,” said the Gunners boss.

“The senior players took the lead straight away and I could see that they came here to win the game. We’re also so happy with all our young players, the way they’re developing and the way they played.”

Leicester started brightly and had the first chance of the game when, after only two minutes, Kelechi Iheanacho was sent through on goal, but his first-time shot was well-saved by Bernd Leno.

Minutes later Reiss Nelson went for the top corner from distance, but his goal-bound effort was tipped over by Leicester shot-stopper Danny Ward.

The Gunners then thought they should have had the opportunity to open the scoring from the spot when Bukayo Saka was bundled over in the box by Daniel Amartey, but referee Peter Bankes waved away calls for penalty.

The visitors were well on top, but it was Leicester who almost went in at the break a goal up. Playmaker James Maddison unleashed a rasping effort from 25-yards, which came back off the inside of the post.

Maddison wasted a more inviting chance in the early stages of the second half, blazing over after being set-up by Demarai Gray.

It proved a costly miss as the Foxes then fell behind when Fuchs diverted into his own net following more Arsenal pressure.

The north Londoners went close to doubling their lead when Nketiah lobbed the ball over Ward only for the backtracking Leicester captain Wes Morgan to clear the ball off the line.

The young Arsenal striker wasn’t going to miss twice, however, and with seconds left on the clock forced the ball home from close range to set a date with Liverpool, providing they beat Lincoln City in their third round cup tie.

Leicester City: Ward, Amartey, Morgan, Fuchs, Albrighton, Choudhury, Dewsbury-Hall (Perez, 76), Thomas, Gray, Maddison (Praet, 72), Iheanacho
Substitutes not used: Jakupovic, Knight, Justin, Tielemans, Barnes

Arsenal: Leno, Holding, Luiz, Kolasinac, Maitland-Niles, Elneny, Willock (Ceballos, 78), Saka (Bellerin, 87), Pepe, Nelson (Willian, 72), Nketiah
Substitutes not used: Runarsson, Saliba, Xhaka, Lacazette


Share this story

Post a comment