From Jingle Belles to James Bond: Raymond Gubbay’s festival of Christmas at the Barbican
20 December, 2018 — By Sebastian Taylor
Enjoy carols by candlelight on December 23
There are some sparkling concerts in Raymond Gubbay’s annual Christmas Music Festival at the Barbican over the next week or so:
Friday December 31
• The Glory of Christmas: Joyous traditional Christmas music with the London Philharmonic and Trinity Boys Choir. 7.30pm.
Saturday December 23
• Jingle Bell Christmas: The Jingle Belles join the London Concert Orchestra, Capital Voices and guest singers Tim Howar and Kerry Elliss for a fun-filled show of Christmas hits. 2.30pm and 7.30pm.
Sunday December 23
• Carols by Candlelight: Peter Davidson aka Doctor Who reads extracts from Dickens and the Bible accompanied by carols and festive classics. 2.30pm.
Thursday December 27
• Glen Miller Orchestra plays wartime chart-toppers and hits from the 1940s. 2.30pm.
• The Best of John Williams: Hollywood’s most celebrated music – from ET to Star Wars and beyond. 7.30pm.
Friday December 28
• Mozart by Candlelight: Mozart masterpieces performed in candlelit-style setting by Mozart Festival Orchestra in authentic 18th-century costumes. 2.30pm.
• Beethoven’s Ninth: All-Beethoven programme featuring the monumental Choral symphony performed by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra – and the Emperor concerto played by Hampstead pianist Danny Driver. 7.30pm.
Saturday December 29
• The Music of Bond: Be shaken and stirred by the music of the world’s most famous secret service agent. 2.30pm.
• Piano Legends: Party to the music of pop’s greatest piano performers including Elton John, Stevie Wonder and Alicia Keys – sensational live vocals and powerhouse live orchestra. 7.30pm.
Sunday December 30
• The Music of Zimmer vs Williams: Hear music from Harry Potter, Star Wars, Inception and more in an epic celebration of two of the all-time great film music composers. 2.30pm.
Monday December 31
• The Magic of Vienna: Watch elegant dancers in billowing gowns whirl to the music of the Strauss dynasty, including the Blue Danube, Rodetzky March and Emperor Waltz. 7.30m.
• Raymond Gubbay Christmas Festival 2018, Barbican Centre, Silk Street, EC2, 020 7638 8891, www.barbican.org.uk