The independent London newspaper

Royal Oak Pub death: Family pays tribute to ‘full-of-life’ ‘Big Al’

Mother of mechanic who starred in MTV reality show ‘devastated’ when told of his death

09 August, 2019 — By Calum Fraser

Alciveadis Mavredis with his sisters Cleo and Angela

A FAMILY has spoken of their anguish after a beloved son and brother died following an alleged assault at an Islington pub.

Cleopatra Mavredis had to tell her 87-year-old mother that her only son Alciveadis Mavredis had passed away.

As the Tribune reported last week “Big Al”, as he was known by many, had been in a coma for 18 days in hospital before he died.

Ms Mavredis, 57, said her mother Vassiliky, who lives in Greece, was devastated and that the neighbours would have “heard her scream”.

She added: “It is traumatic and shocking. We’re just having to manage it the best we can. We’re trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together and focus on one day at a time.”

The family said it would like to put Mr Mavredis to rest in Greece but the ongoing investigation into his death has made it difficult to move him.

He was a well-known figure around Upper Holloway with many people calling him a “Hornsey legend”.

‘Big Al’ with his mother, Vassiliky

Mr Mavredis had been celebrating his 59th birthday in the Royal Oak pub, by the Elthorne estate, when he was knocked unconscious at about 1am on Saturday, July 13.

An ambulance was called at about 6am to Beachcroft Way and he was then taken to an east London hospital.

Ms Mavredis, who lives in Italy, was contacted by one of her brother’s work colleagues that day. She said: “He is my brother. He’s blood. It pains me to think of him lying in a box somewhere.

“It’s still shocking, but thanks to good friends we can get through it.”

The pair were born in the UK but moved to San Francisco with their parents and sister Angela when they were children. They maintained strong ties to their Greek heritage. They were a “humble family”, Ms Mavredis said, and her brother had followed his father’s footsteps by becoming a mechanic. Mr Mavredis moved back to the UK in 1998 and settled in Upper Holloway.

“He had a relaxed attitude to everything,” said Ms Mavredis. “My brother wanted to be free and people could feel that when they were around him. He was a really talented mechanic and put together his Harley Davidson himself piece by piece. He called it ‘Bad Boy’.

“People knew him as a loud, full-of-life, bigger-than-the-room kind of guy.

“But he had got to the point where he wanted to settle down. He was spending more time with mum and I think he was going to move to Greece. It seems unfair this would happen now.”

Leon Tayler, 26, of Cornwallis Square, was arrested on July 14 and charged with grievous bodily harm (GBH) with intent. He will appear in court on Monday.

DJ Westwood ‘heartbroken’ by death of Pimp My Ride co-star

DJ Tim Westwood

HIP-HOP DJ Tim Westwood said he is “heartbroken” to hear that his co-star on MTV’s Pimp My Ride UK had died.

Tributes have continued to pour in for Alciveadis Mavredis, known as “Big Al”, after the Tribune reported the 59-year-old’s death following an assault in the Royal Oak pub in Upper Holloway.

Mr Westwood, known for his long career as a Radio 1 DJ, presented MTV’s cult show Pimp My Ride UK when Mr Mavredis, dubbed “the boss”, starred as a mechanic on the show.

Mr Westwood said: “[I’m] heartbroken. Al was a good guy – larger than life and a heart of gold.

“His character and personality made Pimp My Ride UK legendary.”

The Royal Oak, in St John’s Way, will have its licensing conditions reviewed next week after the police filed a report saying that there was not a “call for immediate medical assistance”.

The Royal Oak’s licence has been suspended pending the full hearing on Tuesday at the Town Hall.

Jason Rice was one of Mr Mavredis’s closest friends in the area and he had known him for about 15 years.

He visited him every day while Mr Mavredis was in hospital following the incident and he was there “when the machines were turned off” on July 31.

“It was a gut-wrenching feeling inside. He will be sorely missed,” he said. “He was always good to his word and truthful.

“He was big and loud, you could hear him before you see him. But really he was a gentle giant.”

A spokesman for Ei Publican Partnerships, which own the Royal Oak, said: “We are aware of this incident and the pub remains temporarily closed while we work alongside the local authorities with their investigation.”

Share this story

Post a comment