The independent London newspaper

Delivery driver’s family: Stabbing suspect must be named

Eight months on, police are urged to release more details as investigation into Finsbury Park killing goes on

28 August, 2020 — By Sam Ferguson

Deliveroo and UberEats worker Taki Eddine Boudhane was stabbed to death earlier this year, following an altercation with a van driver

THE family of a delivery driver who was stabbed to death while working in Finsbury Park have called on detectives to name his suspected killer, nearly eight months on.

Taki Eddine Boudhane – who was known as Taki – died on the corner of Lennox Road and Charteris Road on January 3.

The Deliveroo and UberEats worker was in an altercation with the driver of a white VW Caddy-type van shortly before his death.

The van driver is believed to have followed Taki’s motorbike before confronting him and stabbing him in the chest. Police have identified a suspect who they say boarded a plane to Austria the morning after Taki’s death. But officers have been reluctant to release a name or description of the person they are hunting.

Mr Boudhane’s brother, Islam, told the Tribune this week: “It’s been really difficult, nothing has changed for us.

Mr Boudhane’s mother and brother at the scene of his killing in January

“He [the suspect] is hopping countries, and it doesn’t feel like anything is happening.

“I think they should give more information out to the public. We don’t know why they aren’t doing that. As a family we have been asking them to issue a description and a name since January.

“You see it in other cases where the police are hunting someone, so why not this one? I think it would definitely help.

“We can understand a delay with the pandemic and everything around that, but that has quietened down now. People are flying in and out of the country again, and it feels like nothing is happening.

“Our lives have been ruined. Nothing could make me happy now.”

Detectives hunting Taki’s killer say “significant progress” has been made in the months since he died, and said they could not release the suspect’s name due to fears it would harm the investigation.

Flowers left close to the spot where Mr Boudhane was killed

The Met confirmed this week that homicide detectives were still actively investigating the case, led by Detective Chief Inspector Neil John, but could not confirm whether European law enforcement agencies were involved.

Thirty-year-old Taki’s body was taken back to Algeria for burial earlier this year. Speaking to the Tribune at the scene of her son’s death, Taki’s mother Saida said he came to London to have a safer life.

“He came here to do a very honourable job. It’s not a job that’s meant to be dangerous,” she added. “Taki is gone. We can never bring him back. I’m a mother. I don’t want this to happen to another mother.

“He didn’t kill one person, he killed a family. We want to make sure this is just not another murder. I will never bring my son back, I will have to deal with this for the rest of my life.”

Police in Finsbury Park after the killing of Mr Boudhane

In a statement released this week, DCI John said: “We have made significant progress since Taki was killed at the beginning of the year, including speaking to many witnesses who were at the scene that night.

“We want to remind people of the circumstances of what happened that evening and to reinforce the message that it is never too late to come forward and speak to us with any information, however trivial you may think it is.

“We believe we know who is responsible for Taki’s death and work is ongoing to trace his whereabouts. At this stage we cannot go into any further details as this may hinder our ongoing investigation.”

Anyone with information should call the incident room on 0208 358 0100 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Share this story

Post a comment