Chemical fumes scare sparks sports centre evacuation
Fifty people were led out of the Oasis Sports Centre and outdoor swimming pool
02 August, 2019 — By Tom Foot
FIREFIGHTERS in “gas-tight” suits, circled left, helped evacuate hundreds of people from a sports centre and surrounding offices after a chemical scare.
Fifty people were led out of the Oasis Sports Centre and outdoor swimming pool in Endell Street, Covent Garden, on Wednesday night.
The London Fire Brigade said it had responded to concerns about fumes coming from the centre and said there had been a “chemical incident”.
On Wednesday night, they said: “Firefighters in gas-tight suits are doing a sweep of the building and ventilating the basement. Around 50 people from the sports centre and 10 people from a pub were evacuated. Hundreds of employees from the office block above the sports centre were sent home. The roads around the incident are very busy so please avoid if possible.”
The centre’s operator, Better, said there had been a “technical fault” and it had taken the decision to close down on Wednesday night.
“My plans to go for a swim have been scuppered,” centre member Becky Barnes said.
The centre reopened as usual yesterday (Thursday) morning after being given the all clear the night before.
Better added: “We apologise for any inconvenience caused by [the] closure.”