WestEndExtra

The independent London newspaper

Cat killed in Soho fire

Pet may have knocked over candle while home alone

15 January, 2018 — By Geoffrey Sawyer

A CAT died after breathing in smoke during a flat fire in the early hours of Saturday.

Firefighters have issued a warning about the use of candles following the blaze in Marshall Street, Soho. Half of a third-floor flat was damaged.

The London Fire Brigade said: “Half of a flat on the third floor was damaged in the fire. A cat found in the flat is thought to have died as a result of smoke inhalation. Around 10 people evacuated the other flats and no other injuries were reported.”

Its statement added: “The Brigade’s fire investigators believe the cause of the fire was due to a lit candle being knocked over, possibly by the cat, and igniting combustible materials.”

Firefighters were called at half-past midnight and the fire was under control around 90 minutes later. Four fire engines and 21 firefighters and officers from Soho, Euston and Lambeth fire stations attended the scene.

Categories

Share this story

Post a comment

,