Sebastian Taylor’s music news: Wigmore Hall; Equinox Jazz; Ruby Turner; Handel and rebellion
31 January, 2019 — By Sebastian Taylor
Oonagh Lee performs with The Winds of Change at the Handel in the Time of Rebellion concert, Handel & Hendrix in London, Tuesday. Photo: Sandra Vijandi
THE UK premieres of three Chinese works for string quartets are being performed by the Shanghai Quartet at the 2019 Jacqueline du Pré charity concert at Wigmore Hall on Friday evening (February 1). Also, there’s the world premiere of a new Judith Weir piece, March – and Michael Collins is joining the quartet to play Brahms’ sublime Clarinet Quintet in B minor.
• Wigmore Hall, 36 Wigmore Street, W1, 7.30pm, from £18, 020 7935 2141, www.wigmore-hall.org.uk
JAZZ standards are being reinterpreted by the Equinox Jazz Quartet at MAP Studio Cafe, Kentish Town, on Saturday evening. Quartet members are Danny Silverstone alto sax; Greg Loops bass; James Lewis drums; and Terry Loane piano.
• Map Studio Café, Grafton Road, Kentish Town, 020 7916 0545, 8pm, £8
MAGNIFICENT Ruby Turner is singing for three nights at Ronnie Scotts next week, starting on Monday evening (February 4-6). She’s very much a “club favourite” having enjoyed an impressive career involving major tours, theatre and TV appearances – and regular performances with Jools Holland.
• Ronnie Scott’s, 47 Frith Street, Soho, doors 6pm, from £45, 020 7439 0747, www.ronniescotts.co.uk
A CONCERT exploring the troubled Time of Rebellion that served as a backdrop to Handel’s time in London is at the Handel & Hendrix venue in Mayfair next Tuesday evening (February 5). Playing are the Winds of Change ensemble comprising Ooagh Lee oboe/recorder; Chris Webb baritone; Joel Raymond oboe/recorder; Kate Conway viola da gamba; and Oliver J Ruthven harpsichord.
• Handel & Hendrix, 25 Brook Street, Mayfair, 020 7495 1685, 6.30pm, £12, https://handelhendrix.org/whats-on/events/handel-time-rebellion/
NEW Orleans jazz combo Frog & Henry are playing two sets on Wednesday, one at the Spice of Life lunchtime spot, the other in the evening at the Green Note venue in Parkway, Camden Town.
• Spice of Life, Cambridge Circus, Soho, 12.30pm, £7, 020 7437 7013, www.spiceoflifesoho.com
• Green Note, 106 Parkway, Camden Town, 020 7485 9899, www.greennote.co.uk